Price Break: Cigna Welcomes Trio of Discounted Biosimilars to Preferred Drug Roster
July 11, 2023
What You Need to Know:
- Cigna Group’s unit, Express Scripts, is adding three biosimilar versions of AbbVie’s arthritis treatment Humira to its preferred drugs list.
- Reuters explains that “The biosimilars include Hyrimoz and an unbranded version of Humira from Swiss drugmaker Novartis’ (NOVN.S) Sandoz generics division, as well as German drugmaker Boehringer Ingelheim’s Cyltezo.”
- Sandoz announced its unbranded biosimilar will be priced at an 81% discount to Humira’s current market price of $6,922 per month and Hyrimoz at a 5% discount.
- Boehringer Ingelheim plans to launch Cyltezo at 5% – 7% below the Humira list price.
- Express Scripts voiced that they will include these biosimilars in the formulary or drug reimbursement list.
- There is no information on whether patients will have the same access to Sandoz’s lower-priced biosimilar. Patients may have to pay higher out-of-pocket rates or meet specific criteria to access the cheaper, unbranded biosimilar.
- Available starting in July, these biosimilars increase competition for Humira, joining Amgen’s Amjevita and others on Express Scripts’ reimbursement list.
Source: Reuters, July 10th, 2023