There has been a significant increase in data breaches since 2022, here’s what you need to know:
- US healthcare organizations are witnessing a significant rise in data breaches, compromising sensitive patient data.
- In 2023, 87 million patients fell victim to data breaches, more than double compared to the 37 million affected in 2022.
- In 2023, 480 data breaches were reported within the first three quarters. This new number of breaches is a considerable increase compared to 373 breaches in 2022.
- The most significant breach of 2023 was the HCA Healthcare breach, affecting 11 million individuals.
- Medical records are attractive to criminals due to their sensitive nature, thus requiring top-tier security measures.
- California had the most healthcare data breaches in 2023, followed by New York, Texas, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. Vermont reported no healthcare breaches this year.
- Healthcare providers must prioritize data protection alongside patient care to ensure patients’ trust.
To read more, click here.
[Source: Medical Economics, October 23rd, 2023]