CVS Health Removing Humira from Some Drug Lists:
- CVS Health plans to drop AbbVie’s rheumatoid arthritis drug, Humira, from some of its preferred drug reimbursement lists starting April 1.
- The company will instead recommend biosimilars, including Hyrimoz and an unbranded version of Humira from Sandoz, as well as near copies from India’s Biocon on some lists.
Insulin Price Cap Effective:
- A price cap on insulin from significant manufacturers is now in effect.
- Starting January 1, 2024, Sanofi reduced prices of Lantus by 78% and Apidra by 70%, capping costs at $35 for most patients.
New Ultrasound Tool for Alzheimer’s Drugs:
- Researchers have developed an ultrasound method to speed up the delivery of Alzheimer’s drugs to the brain.
- In an initial study on three patients, this technology enhanced the removal of Alzheimer’s brain plaque, potentially boosting the effectiveness of treatments.
FDA Evaluating Side Effects of Diabetes and Weight Loss Drugs:
- The FDA is investigating reports of side effects like hair loss and suicidal thoughts in people using GLP-1 receptor agonists like Ozempic, Mounjaro, and Wegovy.
- These drugs are used for diabetes or weight loss and work by mimicking the hormone GLP-1.
To read more, click here.
[Source: KFF Health News, January 4th, 2023]
Court Orders FDA to Reconsider Vape Product Denial:
- A federal appeals court directed the FDA to reassess its decision to bar two e-cigarette liquid makers from marketing their products.
- The court criticized the FDA for not considering the companies’ marketing plans, calling the decision arbitrary.
AI Prescription Assistant Gets Support from Mayo Clinic, Eli Lilly:
- A startup has launched a voice-based AI app to manage insulin and other prescriptions, with backing from Mayo Clinic and Eli Lilly.
- The app aims to manage medication and is launching on January 4.