According to the EvaluatePharma World Preview 2020, Outlook to 2026 report, COVID-19 has reduced biopharma sales forecasts by $7.85bn with 60% of that burden shouldered by the top 15 companies. Nevertheless, long-term growth continues to be driven by demand for effective and innovative therapies. Oncology products and orphan drugs continue to perform well as forecasts predict prescription drug sales will grow to $904bn in 2020 and reach almost $1.4 trillion by 2026.
Some key highlights from the report:
- Roche will retain its top spot from 2019 and lead in 2026 with forecast sales of $61bn.
- Globally, Keytruda will be the top selling drug in 2026 with $24.9bn sales,
- R&D investment will continue to be dominated by oncology with a forecast spend of $82bn, resulting in 152 new FDA approvals and $311bn in sales in 2026.
- The orphan drug market is expected to double from $127bn sales in 2019 to $255bn in 2026, with a projected CAGR of 10.8% from 2020-2026.
- Patent expiries between 2020 and 2026 will put $252bn of sales are at risk, most notably Humira.
Download the full report here.
(Source EvaluatePharma, August 15, 2020)